Starting early January, Claire Abery has agreed to head our exciting venture!
What does one look for in a gardening retreat?
Who are the heroes in the gardening world and why do we want to hear what they have to say?
Read a little more below about Claire's background and experience to understand why she is such a valuable resource to us and potential students.
From Oct 2016 - November 2018
Head Gardener - private garden designed by Arne Maynard
• Sole gardener responsible for maintenance schedule of 7.8 acres
• Performing all horticultural tasks in the garden to a very high standard
• Liaising with Arne Maynard Design for improvements and additions
• Managing contractors for lawns maintenance and arboricultural work
• Glasshouse, propagation, cut flowers and garden pots and planters
• Management of vegetable garden and soft fruit
From Aug 1997 - Sept 2016
Senior Gardener - Sissinghurst Castle Garden - National Trust
Performing all horticultural tasks in the garden to a very high standard
Responsible for all pots and troughs throughout the garden
Supervision of trainee gardeners and volunteers
Mentor for the HBGTP student
Lead on developing schools work experience programme
Involved with the NT Plant Database, recording all plant acquisitions and movement at Sissinghurst
Involved with all visitor engagement activities - planning and delivery of talks, demonstrations and events
Work experience in other gardens - Trengwainton, Coleton Fishacre, The British Embassy in Paris, Chanticleer in America, Levens Hall, University of Reading Botanic Garden, Grasshoppers, Homebase Reading